Saturday, February 03, 2024

Visual Healing

 Visual Healing. June 2023 McConnell Art Center, Worthington Ohio.

A year of Crows.  Acrylic on Panel. 2023.

When my dear Mom passed, my friend Jean said it would be a solid year of grieving. I have lost  family and close friends, but never imaginable, the loss of my first real angel.   It was a solid year.  Throw in the pandemic and the realization that our teen children were about to leave the nest was borderline debilitating.  Grief presented itself in puzzling manners. The notion of time was suspended, unreal.


Loss was a negative force in my life. It was crushing.  I was an insufficient dad,  husband, teacher and  friend. I stopped making thoughtful artwork.


Emerging from losing her  was  a gradual return from darkness.  Some happier thoughts and big ideas.  Maybe a return to a decent dad, friend, and husband.  


The work for this show is my journey through the last two years.  Stories about mortality, spirituality,  and stressors.  Coming to terms  with loss and change, and  rebounding.

Gerdeman Learns to go with the Tide the.     Article Matter News Interview


One Solid year. 2023 Acrylic on Panel  sold
Leaving the Nest. 2023 Acrylic on Panel
Don't Touch me I'm Broken. 2023 Acrylic on Panel
Starboy(Son of God?) 2023 Acrylic on Panel

Home is Everything. 2023 Acrylic on Panel Sold
Left of the Dial. 2022. Acrylic and Gouache on Panel

A Piece of Steak(the Comeback)After Jack London. 2023 Acrylic on Panel

The Belly of the Beast. 2023 Acrylic on Panel
Sell my soul. 2023 Acrylic on Panel
Crowd Anxiety. 2023 Acrylic on Panel














No comments: